An online version of Professor Hoppe’s paper “L’Europe De L’Apres-Communisme: Émigration, Integration Et Balkanisation,” traduit par Jakob Arfwedson, with a Foreword by Henri Lepage (Paris: Institut Euro 92, 1993) is now available in HTML here; also in pdf; doc.
This paper appears to be a French translation of an Italian version, “Migrazione, centralism secessione nell’Europa e contemporanea,” Biblioteca della Libertà n. 118, July-September 1992 (“Migration, centralism and Secession in Contemporary Europe”). Pascal Salin’s response thereto is appended below. For a similar English version, see “The Economic and Political Rationale for European Secessionism,” in David Gordon, ed., Secession, State & Liberty(Transaction, 1998), online here.
[click to continue…]
Professor Hoppe’s monograph Kritik der kausalwissenschaftlichen Sozialforschung: Untersuchungen zur Grundlegung von Soziologie und Ökonomie [Criticism of causal scientific social research: Studies on the foundation of sociology and economics] (Opladen: Westdeutscher Verlag, 1983) has been reformatted by François Guillaumat. This version is cleaner than the original and has endnotes converted to footnotes (doc; pdf; original version). A continually-updated doc version is available here.
An Italian translation of Economic Science and the Austrian Method (1995) has appeared, translated by Luigi Pirri, and an introduction by Piero Vernaglione.
Latest publication: The Ethics of Entrepreneurship and Profit, LewRockwell.com (June 23, 2014)
After this excursion into the theory of democratic peace I am back to the proposition that there is no greater threat to lasting peace than the democratic state, and in particular the United States. Thus, the question: how to make the world safe from democracy or how to defend oneself against the U.S..
I am delighted to see a Portuguese translation of my Democracy: The God That Failed in print.
Of all my books, Democracy has been by far the most successful. From its original publication in 2001 until today, the book has been vociferously both condemned and hailed. In some intellectual circles, it has made me a persona non grata, an “unwanted” person – not just with the dominant leftish and relativist mainstreamintelligentsia, but also among many self-styled classical liberals and libertarians. Yet at the same time the book has also become a source of inspiration to many independent and self-thinking people and helped in the formation of a steadily growing international network of intellectual friends, allies, students, and affiliates.
Below is an English translation of Professor Hoppe’s interview by “Wirtschaftswoche”, Germany’s leading business-weekly. The interview covers various topics, including the business cycle, the nature of the state, anarcho-capitalism, taxation as expropriation, and the like.
Interview in Wirtschaftswoche
“Taxes are expropriation”
by Malte Fischer
The anarcho-libertarian economist Hans-Hermann Hoppe argues for a state-free society. Where government has, for example, no right to compel the citizens to pay taxes to finance armed forces.
Professor Hoppe, We currently have booming state intervention in both the economy and in society again. Many citizens want more government and less market. How do you explain that?
History shows that crises promote the growth of the state. This is particularly evident in wars and terrorist attacks. Governments use such crises in order to pose as crisis-solvers. This also applies to the financial crisis. It has provided the governments and central banks with a welcome opportunity to intervene even more in the economy and society. Government representatives have managed to lay the blame for the crisis on capitalism, the markets and greed.
Without the intervention of central banks and governments in the form of liquidity injections and stimulus programs, wouldn’t the world have been thrown into a deep depression like in the 1930s?
There is a misconception that governments and central banks can aid the economy with programs to help it bounce back. Even in the 1930s in the USA there were economic stimulus programs. But the Great Depression did not end until after the Second World War. In prior years, the U.S. unemployment never fell below 15 percent. The banks were hoarding the central bank money, instead of using it to lend.
The current circumstances are similar. The money is not getting into the goods markets, therefore the prices of commodities barely rise. But that does not mean that there is no inflation. You just have to look at how the stock markets are developing to identify where the money is going. Inflation is taking place on the asset markets. [click to continue…]
Professor Hoppe has been interviewed by “Wirtschaftswoche”, Germany’s leading business-weekly:
Interview mit Hans-Hermann Hoppe: Die logische Schönheit des Libertarismus, in eigentümlich frei, Aug. 8, 2013 has just been published, which is a German translation of Cultura e liberdade – uma entrevista com Hans-Hermann Hoppe, The Brazilian Philosophy Magazine Dicta & Contradicta Interviews Hans-Hermann Hoppe (Portugese); English translation: The Logical Beauty of Libertarianism.
Several works by Professor Hoppe and commentaries on his work are now available in Japanese. Including English, Professor Hoppe’s writing is now available in 27 languages.
- The Economics and Ethics of Private Property Part 1, 私有財産の経済学と倫理学 第一部
- Fallacies of the Public Goods Theory and the Production of Security (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 公共財理論と安全性の提供における誤謬
- The Economics and Sociology of Taxation (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 課税の経済学と社会学
- Banking, Nation States, and International Politics (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 銀行業、国民国家と国際政治
- Marxist and Austrian Class Analysis (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) マルクス主義者とオーストリア派の階級分析
- Theory of Employment, Money, Interest and the Capitalist Process: The Misesian Case Against Keynes (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 雇用、貨幣、利子、及び資本主義過程の理論－
- How is Fiat Money Possible? – or, The Devolution of Money and Credit (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 法定不換紙幣―つまり貨幣と預金の退化―
- Against Fiduciary Media (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 信用媒体に反対する
- Socialism: A Property or Knowledge Problem? (The Economics and Ethics of Private Property) 社会主義-財産の問題か、あるいは知識の問題か
- The Economics and Ethics of Private Property Part 1 (On-demand,paperback) 私有財産の経済学と倫理学（第一部）
- Commentary: by Kazunori Echigo, Shiga University professor emeritus in Japan: Kazunori Echigo ‘Neo-Austrian School and the Opponent’ 越後和典「新オーストリア学派とその論敵」
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe’s Achievement: Protection of Gold Standard and Free Banking ハンス＝ヘルマン・ホッペの業績 金本位制と自由銀行業の擁護
- The Critical Review of Keynes’s The General Theory: The Achievement of Hans-Hermann Hoppe ケインズ「一般理論」の批判的考察 ハンス＝ハーマン・ホップの業績
- Political Economy of Monarchy and Democracy: The Achievement of Hans-Hermann Hoppe 君主制と民主制の政治経済学 ハンス─ヘルマン・ホッペの業績
The Croatian and Serbian translations of Professor Hoppe’s speech Staat oder Privatrechtsgesellschaft? (State or Private Law Society) delivered at the 14th Philosophicum Lech is now available at the following links:
Croatian Translation: Država ili društvo privatnog prava?
Serbian Translation: Država ili društvo privatnog prava?
Below is a recent post from Mises Deutschland: Of the Moral and Economic Benefit of Tax-Evasion (in German), Vom moralischen und wirtschaftlichen Wohl der Steuerhinterziehun.
Update: See also Presentando al prof. Hoppe la traducción de su libro; photo below.